PINE BLUFF, AR – Former Alcorn State Defensive Coordinator Cedric Thomas has been named the 20th head coach of the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff Golden Lions football team. Thomas, who has been involved in football for over 15 years returns home to the institution that gave him the opportunity to play collegiate football. He brings championship experience to UAPB. Thomas is a 2001 graduate from UAPB with a Bachelor’s of Science in Health, Physical Education and Recreation and played football as a defensive back with the Golden Lions.
Coach Thomas has held a variety of position which eventually led to becoming a head coach. He has been a recruiting coordinator, a graduate assistant, a running back coach, a special teams coordinator, a defensive back coach, and most recently a defensive coordinator.
“My first plan of action is to get a coaching staff together,” said Thomas. “I’m in the process right now of making both a short and long list of coaches and just reaching out to those guys and getting that established. I will also get in the recruiting battles right away.”
Listed below are some of his top accomplishments while on staff at Alcorn State University:
- 2014 Southwestern Athletic Conference East Division Champions
- 2014 Southwestern Athletic Conference Champions
- 2014 Black College Football National Champions
- 2015 Southwestern Athletic Conference East Division Champions
- 2015 Southwestern Athletic Conference Champions
- 2015 Participated in Celebration Bowl
- 2016 Southwestern Athletic Conference East Division Champions (defense ranked top-10 in FCS in total sacks)
- 2017 Southwestern Athletic Conference East Division Champions (defense ranked top-10 in FCS in both red zone and scoring defense)
Prior to UAPB, he was on staff at Alcorn State serving as the Defensive Coordinator for the Braves football team. Before that, he was on staff with the Mississippi Delta Community College Trojans serving as the defensive back coach and defensive coordinator. As the Trojans defensive coordinator his defense was ranked in the top tier of statistical categories for six years. He was also blessed to have coached over twenty young men that went on to receive full scholarships to Division I institutions and a host of young men that played on the Division II level. His most notable players are Kareem Moore of the Washington Redskins, Jalil Johnson, All-SWAC performer and 2001 New Comer of the Year in the Sun Belt Conference, Jemerilous Moten.
UAPB will host its annual Black and Gold Spring Football Game in 2018 at Golden Lion Stadium. Please visit UAPB’s Athletic website at www.uapblionsroar.com for more information regarding the Black and Gold game and the 2018 Football season.